2 Aug 2010

Penelope Sacorafou on FBC event featuring Michael Herz & Edward Enninful

Michael Herz interviewing Edward Enninful
Though I have always written with pride about Fox& Squirrel's activities this time I write with butterflies in my stomach too! JoJo and I have just come back from an inspiring event organised by FBC featuring Michael Herz, creative director of Bally and Edward Enninful, one of the world's most sought after stylists and creative director of i-D Magazine. The interview was incredibly inspiring. There was an additional twist to the whole event too  as Fox& Squirrel's photographer Venetia Van Hoorn Alkema was appointed FBC's guest photographer!So a very big congratulations to her too.
I leave you with the story that was the FBC event featuring Michael Herz and Edward Enninful accompanied by some of Venetia's pictures.

Edward Enninful
Spotted on a train by stylist Simon Foxton and the rest is history... He tells us how he started off as a model for Pepe Jeans, at which point he raises his eyebrow and asks whether we remember those? We all laugh and the conversation quickly reverts back to him. It was during Edward's  modelling days when Terry Jones, of iD-magazine recognised Edward’s creative flair and appointed him fashion editor of the iconic publication ‘The next thing I knew I was on a train to Paris to report on a collection’ says Edward with an element of disbelief about his own story.
Michael Herz & Edward Enninful
 Asked what his day entails, he exclaims that no day is the same. He tells his FBC audience how it varies from shows and editorials to advertorials. 'One day I could spend with clients, pitching ideas and prepping for a shoot. Another day I could spend doing research. And research is the most important aspect of the job, it is paramount. In fact, research is the only constant in the day of a stylist.'

 He tells us about working with Italian and American Vogue.  What I love with the Italian Vogue is that it focuses on narratives and stories. And, the stories are all about touching people it is not just about looking beautiful. For American Vogue, you really are working with the best in the industry. Anna Wintour really does listen but she also knows what works. One moment you think you are shooting a black issue for Anna, and you arrive on the shoot the next and you are shooting a white issue.
Paparazzis outside FBC event
 So how has Edward managed to work with some of the industry's best and to become one of them also?  I constantly tested myself. When I was younger I created shoots for myself. The more you practise and test your abilities the better you are bound to become. And, that is one advice I have for all young stylists, constantly test yourselves. Also, I always focused on a few things. I was never an advocate of spreading big. I chose to work for a few publications and this way was able to focus on the shoot I produced for them. Working for many does not necessarily mean success.
At this point JoJo and myself would like to say a very big thank you to Courtney Blackman and Alison Whelan, co-Founders and co-Chairman of FBC, and Micheal Herz, FBC member and Creative Director of Bally for making this event happen! 

Alison Whelan FBC Co- Founder,  Edward Enninful,Michael Herz, and Courtney Blackman, Co-Founder of FBC

No comments:

Post a Comment